Bg NavigationSub
Bg DesignAddress

Ellyn B. Tanenberg, Attorney & CPA

Ellyn B. Tanenberg, Attorney & CPA
1717 Pennsylvania Avenue NW Suite 1025
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-387-7747
Washington Law Office Map

Miami, FL:
Phone: 305-350-0575

Silver Spring, MD Office:
Phone: 301-907-0019

International Tax Issues

No matter where you live, if you are required to file and pay taxes to the IRS, you may incur serious penalties and interest that begin to accrue if you filed late or even missed filing altogether. With 20 years of tax law experience as a licensed attorney and CPA, attorney Ellyn B. Tanenberg can assist you with the complexities of US tax law, whether you are a foreign national working within the US or you are an American living or working abroad. She has represented clients from around the world, including:

  • Afghanistan
  • England
  • Japan
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Angola
  • Gabon
  • Latvia
  • South Africa
  • Australia
  • Germany
  • Malaysia
  • South Korea
  • Belgium
  • Ghana
  • Namibia
  • Switzerland
  • Canada
  • Greece
  • The Netherlands
  • United States
  • China
  • Hungary
  • Peru
  • Venezuela
  • Costa Rica
  • Indonesia
  • Qatar
  • Zambia
  • Egypt
  • Israel
  • Russia

Whether you are currently residing in the US as a foreign national or a US citizen living abroad with IRS concerns or questions, Ms. Tanenberg can help you. Contact her law offices in Maryland, Washington DC, or Miami for more information.

“[Ms. Tanenberg’s] exceptional grasp of tax matters, ability to communicate effectively with the IRS, and diligence in handling my case [was] remarkable. […] I would recommend her services to anyone with tax challenges.” – Client testimonial

Services for Foreign Nationals in the United States

Many people from other countries come to the US for work or to reunite with family members already living here. As a foreign national living or working in the United States, you need to understand your tax responsibilities to ensure that any required tax returns are properly prepared and filed.

Ms. Tanenberg routinely works with permanent residents (green card holders) as well as nonresident aliens who seek guidance on how to file tax returns in the United States. She can answer questions such as:

  • Do I need to file a US tax return?
  • What forms do I file?

  • What documents do I need from my employer, business or foreign bank to correctly file my tax returns?
  • When is the filing deadline?
  • What are the penalties for failing to file on time?

Furthermore, foreign investors and/or foreign individuals who live abroad and do business in the US may be required to file US tax returns. If such foreign individuals owe US taxes, the IRS could resort to collection procedures like garnishing or freezing their US assets such as US bank or investment accounts. Ellyn Tanenberg can assist in bringing such clients into compliance with their obligations.

Tax Law Guidance for US Citizens Living and Working Abroad

Many Americans work abroad at international organizations, US embassies, international nongovernment organizations (NGOs), private international companies and so on. Likewise, these individuals should understand the issues surrounding how to be in compliance with US tax laws like knowing what tax returns to file.

For example, many US citizens or permanent residents who work for international organizations such as The World Bank or the International Monetary Fund (IMF) located within the US do not realize federal and state taxes are not withheld from their paychecks. As a result, the IRS and state of residence may claim you owe a large amount of taxes you may not have known you owed.

Ms. Tanenberg can help you maintain compliance with these and other IRS requirements. She assists with the preparation of state and federal returns, taking into account the many tax advantages for US citizens living and working abroad. She also provides guidance in successfully resolving unique international tax disputes.

“I had pretty much given up until I found Ellyn Tanenberg. This accountant/lawyer is not your run-of-the-mill professional. She pays [strict] attention to details, and goes out of her way to find every deduction. She really cares about her clients.” – From a client

Contact Ellyn B. Tanenberg, Tax Attorney & CPA, for More Information

Do you have questions about the taxation of international transactions as an American operating overseas or a foreign national operating in the US? As a lawyer whose practice focuses entirely on tax law, Ms. Tanenberg offers the insight and experience you need. Contact her firm to schedule a consultation today.